I Want To Make Something Clear

     There's something that's been on my heart and on my mind this past week, especially with my recent announcement that I have decided to pursue a career in YWAM, and it is this: that there is no such thing as a "higher calling." My being called to the "mission field" is no higher a calling than someone called to be a teacher, a manager of a company, a barista in a coffee shop, musician, etc. I actually tried, just now, to look up what the definition of "mission field" is and praise God dictionary.com has no results! I love that because your mission field is what you and the Lord define it to be; there's no set standard or definition. Your mission field is wherever God has placed you and there's not enough room on the world wide web to hold all those possible definitions. I've been made to be a missionary; how does that make me any better than my sister who's made to be a chef? It doesn't! And something that has really stuck with me is something that my small group leader during DTS said and that was, "Cooks cook, bakers bake, fishermen fish, etc but missionaries don't 'mish'." And I love what my pastor, Pastor Mike Patz, said once, "You're either a missionary or a mission field." So guess what that means; it means that we're all missionaries and we've all been called to an equally high calling; unless of course you are not fulfilling the calling to which you have been called. In my opinion, and I think that God would agree with this, there's no higher calling than fulfilling the purpose for which you were created. And you know what not everyone is created to live the same life. I look at my sister Melissa who's pursuing a culinary career; talk about a high calling! Who on earth is not blessed and ministered to by a good meal? I look at the world and I see so many people who would cry and be so incredibly blessed to have some of the food that my sister makes. I look at my mom who is so incredibly gifted in so many areas and how she continually uses all these different gifts to bless people- that's a woman fulfilling her purpose! I look at my dad who has faithfully stuck with the same company for over 20 years and how respected he is. I watch how people look to him as a man they can trust and go to with their problems. He's such a man of integrity and he oversees the building of companies that give people jobs and enhance the economy; that's a man enhancing the earth and serving the Kingdom. Don't you dare tell me that any one of them have any less of a calling or any less of a life than I. I don't even know what I'm doing half the time; I'm just following along and going where I'm told. I'm not sure how to define my "mish" yet. I have a dream and I have goals but so far all I'm doing is just serving the people that God puts in my way which is exactly what we all are doing. So where the heck do we get this idea of a "higher calling"?
     Please don't put people that go on missions trips or people who are called to be a "missionary" on a pedestal; we can't help what we're called to do, we're just blessed to be who God made us to be and to do what God made us to do.  And so are you! Here's the highest calling: being who God made you to be and doing what He made you to do. So go and do. Go and be!