Perspective for the Storm

When we've been hurt by something, it totally alters our perspective. Open up a psychology book and it will tell you that your brain operates to facilitate this; our memory filter is directly linked to our emotions, therefore when we are angry our mind pulls from the memories linked to that emotion and when we are elated our mind pulls memories from the happy folder. But hope, faith, confidence and trust go against the flow; they are the salmon in the rivers of our minds, they push against the currents. It is as if these salmon push through the rivers of our minds to get to that place where they, and only they, can unlock the folders and the cabinents of memories that can correct the flow.

I remember in Thailand I was so overwhelmed with the weight and the heaviness of being surrounded by such darkness that I couldn't imagine being there another day, much less the remainder of our outreach and it was unfathomable to ever imagine coming back to that place; I could've left Thailand and never looked back...at that time. After I came home and I was able to process through all of my feelings and experiences, I was able to shift the flow of emotions that was inhibiting my perspective. Once I had perspective, I gained so much hope, faith, confidence and trust...all the things that I lacked while I was there, and I was able to look at Thailand and say with a pure heart that I would do it again.

Living overseas is hard and it has brought on a lot of pain and hurt at times, but the challenge I am facing now is to fight the flow and keep sending salmon of hope, faith, confidence, and trust to push against the currents of my mind and emotions. A part of me, would like to stop fighting for some things; to stop fighting for a life overseas, to stop pushing down desires for a home and a family, and to let comfort be my compass. I need to be reminded, I need some time home to once again process and regain a healthy and healed perspective and that's exactly what God's giving me.

I don't know where you're at, but I encourage you that behind every storm cloud is a blue sky. I've often wondered why people live in places like Kansas that are damned with violent twisters and tornados; but it's their home and why let 1 season totally distort your scope of the beauty you know surpasses any storm? Don't loose sight of the beauty just because of the storm.