Ministry Complete

Wednesday marked the last day of ministry on outreach. 
Monday night was my last night out in the bars. At first we just met up with people we had gotten close to and said our good byes but that was over long before our night was. We struggled to know what to do and I ended up sitting and talking with this girl who I knew was younger than what she would admit to. I sat down next to her and she immediately fought back asking why I was sitting down and why I wanted to talk to her. Before I could even introduce myself she asked me if I was a Christian. I said yes and she told me how Christians are always coming and talking to her trying to shove a bunch of bull**** down her throat and she hates it; she wishes they'd just leave her alone and f*** off. I thought she would ask me to leave, and she had every right to, but she opened up and kept talking instead. She said she was 19 but there's no physical way she's any older than 16. She unveiled her utter hatred for farangs and how much she hated working in the bars, being at their mercy and their disposal, but she can't leave because she has to send money back home to her mother. ( Thai culture is all about saving "Face" which is kept and earned by money. To them, it doesn't matter how face is acquired, only that it's intact. This is why many parents send their daughters and sons to work in the bars, to earn money for face; it's the unspoken code of Thailand. For them, it's more shameful to loose face than it is to gain face by prostitution. ) I told her that money isn't everything and she replied as if I was out o my mind, "Yes it is!" She goes with older men because they want young girls, whereas young guys want older women or ladyboys. At one point a young guy walked by and she slapped his butt and his friend turned around and rebuked her in Thai and called her no good. She was hurt by it and was offended. She said how mad it makes her that my brothers come here to the red light district and get mad at her for doing her job and call her no good. She said they shouldn't come if they don't want to have sex and they definitely don't need to talk down to her for doing her job. She further unfolded how Christians have come and tried to force their God on her but she can't like Christians because she's Thai and to be Thai is to be Buddhist. She said Farangs have their Buddha and Thais have their Buddha. I told her that Jesus is a God for everyone and that he came to save Thais and farangs. She said, "that's s***." I apologized for how Christians had treated her and said that's not what Jesus wanted, He never forced anything on anyone and that our primary purpose is to love, not force Jesus on people. She accepted my apology with a simple thank you and invited me to come and talk to her again.
 It was a great and sobering way to end my time in the bars. It was a heavy reminder of what we are leaving behind...girls stuck in prostitution. Her story is representative of millions of girls in Thailand who are sucked into this destructive trade of sex tourism. I just wish she hadn't been so offended by Christians. Although, it's humbling to be reminded that however pure our intentions may be, we are not judged by our intentions but rather our actions. I may be able to genuinely love that girl after only knowing her for 30 minutes because I'm connected to the Father Who love her, but that doesn't mean anything to her not should it. We want quick fixes but if there's one thing I've learned it's that this kind of work has little place for impatient people with shallow commitments. This kind of work demands the laying down of a life. 

Tuesday was our last visit to the slums. We just played with the kids and prayed over each and every single one of them. One of the girls there has palsy and her left arm was clenched and immovable. We've all been praying over her since the first day but Sunday night I was awoken at 6 am from a dream in which she was healed. I couldn't go back to sleep so I spent a while interceding for her healing. We came to the slums eager to see if God had done anything and we were all amazed to see her arm relaxed and at her side, fully extended. We could tell that she's just not used to using those muscles but never before could she relax her arm and extend it. God healed her!!! 
We came to the slums with printed pictures that we had taken of the kids and gave them to the parents as a gift and a thank you. They were all really touched by it and the kids took their photos and carefully took them inside and put them in a safe place where they wouldn't be damaged. As a parent, think of how you cherish pictures of your kids but that's a luxury these people can't afford. Can you imagine never having pictures of your children? Anyways; saying goodbye was definitely hard especially when the kids said they loved us and blew us kisses. They were and are an absolute joy! I'd go back in a heartbeat. 

Wednesday I worked my last shift in Wongen Kafé and before I knew it ministry in Thailand was over. We spent the day cleaning and packing; had worship all together at night and we leave Thursday at 1 for a week of debriefing. We'll spend 4 days in Chiang Mai at a nice hotel/resort; Sunday night we catch a bus down to Bangkok and on the 10th we fly back to Auckland. Bada-bing bada-boom outreach is over!

How do I feel about outreach being over? At peace. I did what God sent me to do and I saw Him glorified through it. I think that qualifies as a successful outreach. I've learned so much while here in Thailand. I've been reminded of the power of prayer, worship, and the power that's in the Name of Jesus. I've learned how complex justice is; how there's no quick or easy answer and how no answer comes without a price. I've been reminded why the return of Jesus Christ is the hope of the world and how desperately we need His coming. I've seen a lot, felt a lot, heard a lot and experienced a lot. I'm coming away not only with a broader perspective, a softer heart, and a deepened passion but I'm leaving established. 
One of my hopes and expectations for DTS was that I would once again be reminded and encouraged that I am made for missions. Well there's no doubt in my mind now; to wonder seems so ridiculous now. I feel like my roots have just had such a major growth spurt and I feel so incredibly solid and secure in my calling. Lecture phase was definitely a season of fulfillment; a time where God was fulfilling prophecies, promises and prayers but outreach has been a time of establishment; I feel alive. I feel as though I've been climbing a flight of stairs for so long and now I've reached the top. I'm a missionary.