Thought For The Day: wanting more than

I was listening to this song that says, "I'm a lover of your presence and that's all I want to be" And I thought, "Is that true?...Is that right to be true even if it is?...Is that all God wants of us?"

It makes me think of that whole idea that we'll get to heaven and all we'll do is sing praise and worship for eternity...an idea I do not find a whole lot of truth or merit in.

There are plenty of things we want to be. We want to be wives and husbands, mothers and fathers, and grandparents. We want to be musicians, actors, artists, counselors, teachers, photographers, and (you fill in the blank) , and that's great! God is the One Who put those longings there, they are ways we, not only, further experience Him, know Him, and worship Him, but they are also there for our enjoyment and pleasure.

But the problem with lyrics like these is that we get caught in singing them, believing them, and then feeling guilty because we know that is not all we want to be; we feel guilty for wanting more than, in this case, to be "a lover of Your presence".

I am a lover of His presence! I am a lover of His presence and I am a lover of the many ways and avenues that I get to enjoy, discover, and coalesce in that presence, that presence that is waiting to be found in even the most curious and unlikely of places, things and beings; that presence that is oh so available, mysterious and surprising. And I think that's ok....

Just a thought