The Tamarisk Series: Part IV

I want to finish the Tamarisk Series and I swear I have been mulling over how to get it done. I've been wrestling with the knowledge of needing to bring children into the discussion and avoiding it because I may have some "spiritual children", but I don't have biologial children and that fact really doesn't give me a whole lot of authority to go blogging about it.

But I need to finish this series. I need to get the most plain and simple point out there that I keep trying to squeeze some mystery out of, thinking, "There's got to be more to it than that." Because here it is: You can do everything right as a generational thinker and somewhere along the line, someone is going to muck up because no one is perfect. Somewhere along your line someone is going to try and undo everything you did, all the blessings you set in place unraveled. Everything you build in this life, everything you leave behind, is subject to destruction.

So what the bloody hell do we do?! What can we do?!

The answer has been staring me in the face for quite some time and I kept avoiding it because I didn't believe it could be that simple. And here's what I think: You just love God the very best you can.

I really dislike that answer. It's so stereotypically Christian; right?! But let's look for a moment at another generational figure. Let's look at David.

Here we can follow part of David's line. Now we know from Scripture that David was a man after God's own heart, his love for his Lord was his fame. As you read through 1st and 2nd Kings and 1st and 2nd Chronicles, you will read time and time again of kings following in their father David's ways loving God or turning aside from them and defying God, but even when they turned away from The Lord, you will read, "Nevertheless for David's sake..." and you will see how God spared them and continually blessed them, despite their infidelity, for the sake of their father David who loved Him.

There you will see another line, the line of King Jeroboam and he too had a mighty influence over the generations after him. Jeroboam committed a terrible sin against The Lord and cursed his line with it. Every king that would follow Jeroboam fell victim to that sin and it reads , time and time again, "walking in the way of Jeroboam"...doing evil in the sight of The Lord.

David loved God and his love for Him rescued his line repeatedly, his love for God surpassed his life and continued to flow through and influence son after son. Jeroboam rejected God profusely and that defiance, it too continued to flow through and influence son after son. The point is that we do not make the generations, but we serve a God of generations, The God Who called Himself The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

So...love Him.